1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum has been updated, please see this thread about it.

How to Help with the New Project

Discussion in 'News' started by ToastyJustice, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ToastyJustice
    No Mood

ToastyJustice Team Member Staff Member

Our new project is in the early stages of development. We are working on the concept art, defining the setting, and writing the plot. As we move forward, we need to expand the team to fill the following roles:

• Concept artists
    • Area/background artists
    • Sprite artists
    • Internal management (art team, task management)

Descriptions of our expectations and considerations for the roles follow. See the bottom of this post for information on how to contact the team if you are interested.

In the first two rules, we have several artists already, but are looking for more to rapidly move through our concept phase. We are looking for people to who can dedicate their time either for a few pieces or with the intention of joining the team. As a team member, you would be joining our existing group of artists and you will be expected to communicate and work with them to produce a consistent quality and style of work.

We need both concept artists and background artists at the immediate time. The content of of world will involve futuristic technology and mechanical parts, and we are looking for those who have some experience with them.

Concept artists will be helping define the style of our vision. We are looking at quality of work, and welcome everyone's personal style as we work towards a coherent style. Initial work will be done with sketches. Candidates cannot be afraid to have their pieces rejected or requested to be modified significantly as directed. Colored sketches and vectors will be added to the workload as we continue through the project. Your focus will be to create and improve on designs for the characters, items, and use of abilities within the game.

Area and background artists will help define the world in which the player will be interacting. We need pieces for both conceptual work and the finalized forms that will be used as game assets. As a candidate, you will be expected to produce detailed concepts of the areas in which the game will be set. The locations we need will vary heavily. We need depictions of cities, forests, caves, ruins, underwater areas, mountainous regions, and many more that apply to the high-tech theme of the world that it is set in.

Sprite artists are a role that we are looking to fill a month or two into the future. Our design needs to be more solid before we move into creating these assets. As a spriter, you will work closely concept and world artists create work that is to be used in the game directly, adhering to the style we have defined. We expect a consistency in your work. Experience spriting original works is an important consideration for being accepted as a candidate for this role.

Internal management is needed to organize tasks and communicate between the various team members. With our team being internationally located, we need updates and to be able to pass along information to everyone in the team. To facilitate this communication, you will also be responsible for tracking progress, recording tasks, and doing the in-between work to help us work quickly and smoothly. Any prior experience working with a team and organizing people of a volunteer nature will be highly useful. And making checklists with tasks to double and triple-check you checklists. Bonus points for a 3-color team vest and an affinity towards magic.

To contact us with interest in any of these positions, email myself, Toasty Justice, at: [email protected]. Please provide example of previous work and/or a prior description of your experience.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. plankton0591
    Happy

plankton0591 Pony

What is the new game going to be called?
  3. Rar1ty
    Question

Rar1ty Global Moderator

That's probably something they have yet to discuss or like a lot of games they won't say until a later time in development. ;)
  4. cookie
    Angelic

cookie Donator

if you want donations i am always happy to help ^_^
  5. Rar1ty
    Question

Rar1ty Global Moderator

Do you have an approximate timeline when donations will be possible? ;)
  6. Bluenight
    Tired

Bluenight Pony Helper Outer

Not being to help you guys really makes me feel bad. I can't do much, but I guess I could get the message out that Starlight Studios is looking for new team members.
  7. Cybearg

Cybearg New Pony

Fallout Equestria Online is my guess.

Wish I could help, but my art skills only pertain to 3D.
  8. cookie
    Angelic

cookie Donator

ho god MAKE IT HAPPEN PLEASE :D
  9. LittleIronFlank
    Question

LittleIronFlank New Pony

Eh my drawing skills are....meh at best, on paper. On a computer they are non existant.

However if you ver need somone to help with anything weapon or armour realted, i may be of some help.
  10. John Smith

John Smith New Pony

11. ToastyJustice
    No Mood

At this time, the exact title is not determined, though we have a working title and a project codename. Neither of which we will be saying yet ;)

Our donation address is still setup, though we are still considering returning the funds that were donated for MLP:Online due to the outcome of the project. We have some plans for a new team site in the future where we may open donations, but that is undecided.
  12. plankton0591
    Happy

plankton0591 Pony

Wow, Toasty quoted me. That's awesome.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Instant Surprise
    Sweettooth

Instant Surprise Pony

I have zero drawing skills unless it comes to abastract art, but if for some strange reason you need ideas for something or other, my brain will be useful.
  14. Sanctuary
    Spaced

Sanctuary Contributor

I'd be willing to help with sprites if ya'll wanna suffer working with me again. If not its cool. Salty hates me and its my own fault for getting bored.
  15. emeryk
    Spaced

emeryk New Pony

i work best with creating sprites, i mostly have made 8-bit caracters, but i can go into full HD if i have to... just as long as its mostly 2-D, i can be a bit sketchy at 3-D.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. John Smith

John Smith New Pony

Here are some new and improved model sheets that you can use http://ddhyuugaman.deviantart.com/#/d5olmwc
    The SVG files have some problems that will be fixed soon. Also there is this excellent program for creating concept art called Krita. Krita 2.5 or newer is professional quality drawing program http://krita.org/
    Here is an excellent tutorial series
  17. ToastyJustice
    No Mood

For a moment I thought this was spam just to get people into Krita! Only through your deviantArt link did I realize it wasn't :P
  18. sbloom85
    Bored

sbloom85 Pony

Too bad there's nothing regarding the story, I'd help bounce ideas around.
  19. John Smith

John Smith New Pony

So does this mean they can be used? They will hopefully be ready by February.
  20. Icarex
    Innocent

Icarex Pony

If needed i could help with music or ideas. Or even art :3
    Im a new 15(16 in march) Brony and i would love to help as well as get to know people.
    <3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1